Friday 18 September 2009

2 weeks and counting!

Well 2 weeks to go now, I think we have most of the kit together but still need lots of bits and bobs, you know, Sudocrem, germoline, Gaffa tape(Stop Rathers snoring - bet he has the same idea about me too!) Still not really sinking in that in two weeks we will be a very long way away, doing something we both love and raising money for some great charities at the same time. It's been a couple of years now since I watched Charlie and Ewan do the Long Way Down, I said at one stage to Di(The better half) that I would love to be there, to talk to the locals and take hospitality in one of their homes, no it's real.
One of the highlights will be visiting one of the Schools on the Touch Africa project and giving it a lick of paint. I know that will be a paint job that will remain with me for the rest of my life.
We have had our final instructions for the airport and luggage allowances will be tight, 20kg for the hold and 8kg for hand luggage. It would appear that most of us will be wearing our off road boots at the airport as they weigh a ton, then once on the plane we will take them off and put some flip flops or trainers on. I don't think it will be too difficult to spot our fellow riders in the departure lounge!
I would invite anyone who is still reading this blog to make any comments over the next two weeks, wish us luck, tell us to watch out for mozzies, or anything you wish.
Thanks again for your support, we could not have done this without you.
Come back soon as the Post's will no doubt become more frantic and hopefully funnier.
This weekend I will be on a road bike on "Bikesafe" helping civillian riders improve their skills, a far cry from what is about to come.
One a final note, I have been trying to get the other 100 or so people completing the Enduro challenge on 2nd of Oct to speak to one and other on the Enduro Facebook site, with some success, I think about half a dozen have since come forward and introduced themselves over the last few days.
Enough for now,
Dog wants a beer!
Bob.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Too bad about having to wear your boots to the airport! Made me run and check my weight restrictions -- 32kg & 8kg flying SAA from the States. No problem. Guess I can wear my flip flops the whole way. Good luck with final preparations. Travel safely. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, sorted then, I'll post 6 KG of my luggage to you. lol
    Look forward to meeting you there mate.

    ReplyDelete